Crohn's/UC Liteature & Websites

Monday, March 30, 2015

Writing For 100 Days (Actually, 101)

As a college student, one of the most difficult ideas to wrap my head around was how to sneak my writing into my schedule. During my last semester, I held three jobs: one 15+ hours/week, one 12 hours/week, and one 2 hours/week. In addition to that, I was taking all English classes--including my senior seminar and a fiction workshop. With more than 100 pages to read every night, writing for fun was daunting.

I'll admit it, I did not write a lot that semester. Or any semester of college, in fact. My priority for good grades outweighed my writing goals. 

One of my friends changed this. The entire time I've known him (a little more than a year now), he has been asking me, "Did you write today?" Of course, I would answer, "No, I have a lot of homework..." Glancing at me, he'd respond, "Come on, you have to write." 

When I graduated, he'd come up with an idea: To write every day, and after so many days, to increase that amount. We started at 1000 words and have worked our way up to 2000. I had my doubts at first, but overall it's been a rewarding experience. 



Writing every day no matter what empties me, calms me, gives me something to look forward to at the end (or the beginning) of the day. I can also remember what I've written, which is lucky since I have a hard time keeping track of what my character's look like. It gives me a chance to finish a project--and this I love since writing every day, increasing the amount, would be great for a first draft. Part of my 100 days was spent writing one. 

Yet, keeping on track can be overwhelming, and I am reaching that point now. To have to sit down every day and work on something that that is not as exciting as it once was...drains your spirit. 

101 days of writing--straight, no breaks, no skips--is giving me clarity into what I want my writing routine to look like, for current and future projects. What once was a jumbled mess of "how will I fit it into my schedule?", becomes a way to not only keep myself from getting drained, but also teaches me how to fit writing (the equivalent of breathing) into my work schedule. 

At this point in the process, I am not sure how long I will continue writing for the next 101+ days, but I know I will make every effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment